registered IT Company in the
If your organization examines, possesses or transfers controlled goods in Canada, you will have been registered under the Controlled Goods Program. It also means that your IT support company must likewise be registered under the Controlled Goods program if they would or might have access to anything considered a controlled good in the performance of their IT services.
What Are Controlled Goods?
According to the Government of Canada:
“Controlled goods are primarily goods, including components and technical data that have military or national security significance, which are controlled domestically by the Government of Canada and defined in the Defence Production Act. This can include:
- Goods, including components and technology. This can include blueprints, technical specs in either paper or electronic format. These goods can also be or include documents and electronic documents that hold strategic significance or national security implications. This is regardless of where they were manufactured.
- Defense articles originating from the United States that are controlled by the United States Munitions List—part 121 of the United States International Traffic in Arms Regulations, as amended from time to time.
- Goods, regardless of where they are manufactured, that are manufactured from technical data originating from the United States. These are controlled by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, as amended from time to time
Who Is In Charge?
Who Manages the Canadian Controlled Goods Program?
The program, managed by Public Services and Procurement Canada, allows registrants to legally examine, possess, or transfer the controlled goods.
What is the Canadian Controlled Goods Program Responsible For?
- Registering companies, organizations and individuals who examine, possess and/or transfer controlled goods.
- Performing security assessments on controlled goods transfer.
- Processing exemption from registration applications by determining whether items qualify as controlled goods.
- Inspecting to ensure compliance with all controlled goods legislation.
- Investigating potential breaches of security.
- Issuing registration suspensions or revocations as needed.
- Working with law enforcement for enforcement and defence related tasks per the Defence Production Act.
BSC Solutions Group Ltd is a registered company currently providing IT support involving controlled goods to organizations in Toronto and the GTA. If you are dealing in controlled goods and do not have a Controlled Goods Program Registered IT Support Company, you are likely in violation of the Controlled Goods Regulations.
Give us a call or send a quick email today. We’ll be happy to discuss your specific IT requirements to ensure your organization is compliant with the Canadian Controlled Goods Program.